Friday, August 13, 2010

Karate Rugby Karate Rugby Karate Rugby

We are nearing the end of Rugby season for our team (they have played their hearts out), BUT they have had no COACH for 4 weeks and it has showed NO one person would put there hand up and coach these boys 2 dads did but one works shift work another could only do every other thurs and not tues AND NEITHER of them could front on a SAT, (one cant drive for gods sake!) then no one would turn up THEN one QUIT because he wanted FULL AUTONOMY (some players are brilliant one has already been poached for RBHS Rugby Academy) 4 are in the King Country Rugby Development side and there are 5 - 7 players who have MEAN skills (my new bestest word!) the rest have GREAT SKILLS but need guidance and commitment and their SKILLS BASE built up!. I am desperately trying to secure FUNDING and COACHES for next season BUT dont know why the schools dont DO MORE these are some of the naughty boys YES ADMITTEDLY but they DEFINITELY need strong leadership, continuity, boundaries, and a person who has Mana and Respect (alot of parents want me too step up) BUT I have this thing where AT 13/14/15 yr olds THEY NEED MALES there not a mum/female/organiser (which I am brilliant at) coaching I dont know ALOT of teams refer to me AS THE COACH because they havent seen the OTHER MEN ever on a saturday and YES the boys cetainly listen to me thats for sure THERES no mucking around WHEN Mother of the Brothers is there (their team haka has BROTHERS featured very strongly in it! hence my nickname).

I am in awe of these boys they are a ramshackle lot with drive and determination BUT their commitment levels and stickability need working on AND A PASSION for the game only comes from a strong switched on coach! Who can keep them focused and on track.

Now I do realise that it is a HUGE commitment to say yes yes I will coach the team BUT if you as a person say you are going to do it WHY then would these men NOT COMMIT to it THEY (we ) all knew the time frame of the season it was clearly marked out and FORMS were given out outlining grades times and length of season, THESE boys will flounder IF left and drift away AND YES some will definitely be in more trouble (and already are) if NO ONE SCOOPS them up and sorts them! (I soooooooo want to Blindside some of these boys the "fixer" in me is very maternal towards some of these boys...

Then there is Karate! Karate over 4 days 3 hrs last night 3hrs tonight 5 hrs tomorrow and 8hrs Sunday (competition day NZ NATIONALS!) Rugby will be finished AS of tomorrow 12noon and then ONCE this weekends over we are taking a chill pill for a week or two. Karate is great for Samuel and can be and probably will get him places (ie tournaments and travel etc) Samuel just completed his Year 9 Speech and is in the finals (once again last year he got 2nd by 1/2 a point in Yr 8) his speech was on Karate something he is clearly passionate about and IT SHOWS, he is growing before my eyes HIS new Gi that was purchased by his Sensei 1 week before AUSTRALIA trip is creeping up already (too short) thats been just on a MONTH! He now wants to add a bit more height so he can play 2nd row in rugby a s a FRONT lineout jumper!!! (yup get him!).

So it looks like my years of Rugby and or Karate aren't ending any time soon!! Oh joy maybe a coaching seminar HAS my name on it! AND that said A NEW JOB as I now want to at least put my hat in IF ASKED (which means afternoons twice a week and Sat off in Rugby season!) OR some kind person will sponsor the team (they even had to play in 2nd hand uniforms that weren't the best and most of the team shorts were A: too small B:or ripped from previous teams!) my thinking is if you treat a team shabbily and poorly and with little regard WHAT can you expect back THIS GROUP of boys will go through the grades together until school finishes I PRAY something changes soon!!! (I am very protective of these boys and defend them too the hilt when I have had too THE PRINCIPAL and I have already had words STRONG WORDS), some of their family situations and circumstances ARENT great and don't make for pretty reading at all! they are a collective group and a big group and most are all friends(15 of the 24) and knock around together WE ARE trying to steer them into Waka Ama and Kapa Haka to give them Whanau and togetherness and a sense of family and belonging I have also put my hat in for HELPING with Waka Ama and Kapa Haka. Which I am thrilled about (I know both the Te Reo Maori teachers and they are thrilled I am there too!)

It is a vicious day out COLD SUPERWINDY and miserable YAY we get too stand in it tomorrow for RUGBY!

After this weekend I will definitely WORK on some PHOTOS!!!!

I hope everyone has a nice weekend.

Ciao

1 comment:

  1. Interesting I think you should put your comments in writing to NZRFU or Waikato RU and see if some of their development coaches will visit for coaching sessions. Regarding the uniforms same thing or try a letter to your local paper. I know one of the boys teams locally wrote to Grey Power requesting retired people interested in coaching and got a couple of guys plus mpney from the other village residents for uniforms etc. How cool gave them all an interst.
    Mary H

    ReplyDelete