Tuesday, January 13, 2009

WHAT NOT TO DO.........

When I was a young girl pre teen 12 IN FACT I was driving albeit in a prefect (my friends parents car) and only up to 3rd gear BUT none the less driving when Iw as 13 I used to drive my dad down to the shops and back for practice by 14 I was driving everywhere with my parents in the car and at night MY dad said only way to learn and be CONFIDENT on the road by the time you get your licence!!!! and yip you guessed it FLEW through the practical and theory and have had MY FULL driving licence for 25 years now!!!!!

So I figured well my son is 12 and a half I will start him off too (note to self PLESE GET FAMILIAR with A:road code B: leagal requirements pertaining to AGE!!!!to be driving on a road!!!)
we have spent a few days in the garage no KEYS in car just him adjusting to seat mirrors pedals etc and "dry run" changing of gears, and talking through scenarios etc.

WELL this morning I thought why not take him to the new subdivision no CARS around and just drive in a straight line HE DID VERY well and only bunny hopped once until SOME PLONKER on a T intersection in a MOWER CONTRACTOR vehicle pulled straight out in front of us and scared the BEJESUS out of me and my son, HE SLAMMED the car brakes on and the clutch and MOTHER YELLED at MAN in truck, one shakey son ME AGED by 10 years, and THEN I thought RING THE POLICE and get the exact AGE of WHEN DRIVING lessons can occur, (because I do realise things have changed), only to find out that YOU HAVE to have your learners licence TO EVEN be on the road learning to drive DUH,(bearing in mind I had just ONE actual professional driving lesson before my licence THE INSTRUCTOR knew previously I had been driving he knew my dad well, and he was an ex policeman and knew dad had been letting me drive).

I can now sympathise with some of the groups who are calling for more education, I mean DO they expect 15 year olds to just get in a car and learn all this and be confident on the road at the same time, WHEN I LEARNT our car wasnt fast, and there weren't alot of cars around then a few BUT NOT like today and they certainly WERENT FAST PACED!!!! Is the reason for high road crashes lack of confidence, (NOTE to self get all material associated with laws and ages FOR anything to do with BOYS!! and BOYS doing anything!!!! not just driving).

And will ring Taupo Track (car club) to see what they do out there, in fact I was driving tractors at 13 and 14 too and motorbikes(scooters only 50cc), we are ONLY going to practice going up and down the driveway so he can get the feel of the car and gears (it is a manual), and actually he blimmin DROVE up to the heart pulpatation point VERY WELL.

AND considering in just a little over 2 years he will be driving it is all going too fast, next there is the can I drink, WHEN can I drink, the voting, PLEASE make all these things one AGE LIMIT then dumbarssssssseeee parents like me can at least remember things.

I think IF I HAD to sit my licence again I may not pass, given todays lessons....... ( I have however reitirated the clutch brake scenario in a hurry when you have to STOP!!!! well before it was needed today)

Normally i am a well informed person and look at all avenues before heading down the path of DOING anything, (am having a blonde day and IT was a full MOON last night)......

ENOUGH rambling about DRIVING (or lack thereof after today). I went to physio and we discussed the position I am in wanting to increase exercise and walking again, and was told to bike for a couple of weeks to move ankle joints and in different directions, and then I can start slow walking and a few km's at a time 1 or bloody 2 km FFS, and then I have to access it. Enough ramble for now.

Ciao

Ok to digress on physio appointment I am pissed because NO ONE asked me or suggested that I should get on a bike and I could have been doing that for the last 4 weeks, ( I have had 4 different physio as my one is on holiday and I had to take appointments available...), he has said EVEN though I have been doing all the right things resting, anti inflammatory rub (herbal totally organic), pills, pressure bandage and exercising IT still could take 6 - 12 months and NOT TO AIM for HUNTLY 1/2 marathon but the TAUPO one INSTEAD in Aug, so alot of 2 km walks I can feel coming for at least 1 month then I will ease it from there to up the anti!!!! Although nothing stopping me from doing a 10km walk in MAY to see how the distance holds up I guess.

Spoke to someone else who said their kids had been having driving lessons and they are 13 eeekkkkkkk guess I am not the only brainless person around.........

Oh well I am done for the day and am going to my neighbours for a cuppa of tea.

Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment